James Hutton Institute
James Hutton Institute forms part of the North East Scotland Biodiversity Partnership.
The James Hutton Institute conducts world-class scientific research tackling some of our biggest challenges relating to food and environmental security and sustainable development. The institute is named after the “father of geology” James Hutton, one of the key figures in the Scottish Enlightenment.
The institute has a long connection to the north east. The Macaulay Institute for Soil Research was established in Aberdeen in 1930, becoming the Macaulay Land Use Research Institute in 1987, before helping form the James Hutton in 2011.
The institute has been a partner since the beginning of the partnership. It has many biodiversity scientists on its staff and involvement with the partnership ensures we stay rooted in local issues.